Department of Physics
University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1274
(1st Class Honours)
Certificate of Art and Design
M.Art.Th. (1st Class Honours)
Taylor at the Tate Gallery
The Dripper' Physics World, November edition, p76
Art Of Science' Broadcast by the Australian Broadcasting
New Scientist, no 2144, p30 (1998)
- 'The Story Of A Chaotic Pendulum: Where Science And Art Meet'
The Physicist, vol 36, no 3, p93 (1999)
- 'Fractal Analysis Of Pollock's Drip
Paintings'Nature, vol 399, p422 (1999)
- 'Fractal Expressionism' Physics
World, vol 12, no 10, p25 (1999)
- 'The Use Of Science To Investigate Jackson Pollock's Drip
Paintings,' Art And The Brain, Journal of Consciousness
Studies, vol 7, no 8-9, p137 (2000)
- 'Jackson Pollock: Nature, Chaos, and Fractals', Research Thesis
in Art Theory, University of New South Wales, Australia (2000.
- 'From Science to Art and Back', Science
- Nextwave, 25th April 2001
- 'Architect Reaches
for the Clouds', Nature, vol 410, p18 (2001)
A Resonance Between Art and Nature', Symmetry:
Art and Science, ISIS Journal (ISBN0865-4824) vol 1-2 p194
- 'Pollock's Fractals' (by Jennifer
Oullette) Discover, p68 November 2001
- Spotlight on Visual Language', Nature,
vol 415 p961 (2002).
- "Fractal Design Strategies for Enhancement of Knowledge
Work Environments" Proceedings of The Human Factors and
Ergonomics Society Meeting (2002)
- 'Order in Pollock's Chaos'
Scientific American p116, December (2002).
- "The Visual Complexity of Pollock's Dripped Fractals"
Proceedings of the International Conference of Complex Systems
Construction of Fractal Drip Paintings', Leonardo
vol. 35 p. 203 (2002).
- 'A Brief History of Art and Science', (by C. Muldoon
and P. Rodgers), Physics World p40, November 2002.
- Fractal Expressionism - Where Art Meets Science, Art And
Complexity, Ed. J. Casti and A. Karlqvist, Elsevier Science,
- Universal Aesthetic of Fractals',Chaos
and Graphics, vol. 27, p. 813 (2003).
- Pollocks' Fractals, Letter,Scientific American April, 2003)
- "Second Nature: Fractured Magic from Pollock to Gehry"
Chapter to the book Innovations, Papadakis Publishing,
London (2003) and in Newarch 7, 16 (2003)
- Mandelbrot awarded Procter Prize
- "Pollock, Mondrian and Nature: Recent Scientific Investigation"
Chaos and Complexity Letters 1, 29 (2004)
- 'Fractal Dimension of Landscape Silhouette
Outlines as a Predictor of Landscape Preference', Journal
of Environmental Psychology, vol. 24, p. 237 (2004).
for mechanical (not optical) copying and enlarging in Jan van
Eyck's Portrait of Niccolo Albergati"
accepted for publication in the Proceedings of the Optical
Society of America,2004
- "Feel the Fascination of Fractals"
Invited Review, Physics World, December 2004
- "Evidence for mechanical copying and enlarging in Jan
van Eyck's Portrait of Niccolo Albergati", D.G. Stork,
Scientific America, December 2004.
- "Perceptual and Physiological Responses
to the Visual Complexity of Pollock's Fractal Dripped Patterns"
Journal of Non-linerar Dynamics, Psychology, and Life Sciences,
vol. 9, 115 (2005)
- "The Search for Stress-Reducing Art: Fractal Geometry
from Jackson Pollock to Frank Gehry", Mathematics and Culture,
247-255, Springer-Verlag, Milano (2005)
- "Fractals: A Resonance between Art and Nature",
Mathematics and Culture II: Visual Perfection: Mathematics and
Creativity (Springer-Verlag, Berlin 2005)
- "Fractal Aesthetics", The Journal of Nonlinear Dynamics,
Psychology, and Life Sciences, vol. 9 115 (2005).
- "Jackson Pollock's Fractal Patterns: Authenticating Art
with Nature's Geometry" To be published in the proceedings
of International Conference on Art and Mathematics (2005).
- 'Levy Flights',Encyclopedia
of Non-linear Science, Ed. Alwyn Scott, Fitzroy-Dearborn
- "Fractal Aesthetics II, The Journal of Nonlinear Dynamics,
Psyhchology and Life Sciences, 9 cover image
- "Personal Reflections on Pollock's Fractal Paintings",
Invited essay, special edition of the journal History, Science
- "Authenticating Pollock Paintings Using Fractal Geometry"
accepted for Publication in Pattern Recognition Letters.
- "Jackson Pollock: Nature, Chaos and Fractals", book
to be published (2006)
- "Semantic Evaluations of Silhouettes with Different Fractal
Dimension", accepted for publication in the proceedings
of The International Non- linear Science Conference (Alexandria,
Sept. 11th, 2006)
- "Self-similar Patterns and Attention Restoration - Semantic
Evaluations Real and Artificial Landscape Silhouettes",
To be published in proceedings of the 19th International Conference
for the International Association For People- Environment Studies
(Greece, March 10th, 2006)
- ' Reduction of Physiological Stress Using Fractal Art and
Architecture' Accepted for publication in "Artscience:
The Essential Connection", to be published in Leonardo